Can we use your data to tailor ads for you? Our partners will collect data and use cookies for ad personalization and measurement. More info
Yes No

Glenbuchat Heritage

136 Minutes of Glenbuchat School Board
The Glenbuchat Image Library
136 Minutes of Glenbuchat School Board

THE SCHOOLBOARD OF GLENBUCHAT

Photos above
1. Schoolhouse with Mr Annand
2. Schoolhouse on left and ‘New School’ on the right
3. Bowiebank Girls School
4. Dulax Boys School
5. Balloch
6. School now as house Whitehillock
7. Whitehillock demolished 2021

In 1687 there is a record in the Exercise of the Presbytery of Alford that state of Glenbucket:
"That there is a school and some tolerable maintenance for a Schoolmaster."


This article outlines the activities of the Parish School Board for Glenbuchat.

Until the Education Act of 1872 (See below for details of the act and the background to Scottish Education) schools in Glenbuchat had been the responsibility of the two church of Scotland factions, the Established Church and the Free Church. The Established Church had a school at the top of the Belnacraig hill and the Free Church had schools at Bowiebank Belnacraig for Girls and at Dulax. for Boys. Later a school was built at the Balloch at the top of the Glen to serve children at the top of Glenbuchat and Glen Nochty.

In 1868 the new Glenbuchat Parish School built (previously the pupils had been taught in the Schoolhouse).. The school was closed in 1960 and became a private house Whitehillock. Whitehillock was demolished in 2021

You can search on this site for details about all the schools, stories written by pupils at the schools and some details about the teachers. Note particularly of an essay written about school days in 1890. .

After the 1872 Education Act, Education was managed by the parishes and in true democratic style members of the local community sat on the School Board. You will notice in the minutes of meetings the familiar problems of recruiting staff, HR problems with alcohol excess, lack of enthusiasm at times I getting embers from the community and management of the buildings.

Note at the foot of the minute’s comments on The Dick Bequest and The Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge which are referred to in the minutes.

MINUTES OF THE SCHOOLBOARD OF GLENBUCHAT
Grampian Regional 1873 — 1919 Archive 5/57/1
(Minute book of about 400 pp covering the whole life of the School Board)


3 April 1873

The Election of a School Board for the parish of Glenbuchat, in terms of the Education Act 1872, having taken place in the parish school on the 24th day of March 1873 the following gentlemen were elected to the School Board
The Rev John Bremner Minister of Glenbuchat
The Rev John Rainnie Free Church Minister of Strathdon and Glenbuchat
Mr John Nettie Farmer Milltown of Glenbuchat
Mr Charles Ogg Farmer Beltamore ditto
Mr George Begg Farmer Blackhillock ditto

Minutes of the first meeting of the School Board 3rd April 1873
Within the Schoolhouse of Glenbuchat, the 3rd day of April 1873 which day the School Board for the parish of Glenbuchat, duly called in terms of circular letters from the Returning Officer, met for the first time ..."

Mr Bremner was unanimously elected Chairman, and Hr Rainnie Clerk of the meeting. Mr James Cameron, Teacher, was appointed Clerk to the School Board at a salary of £1.10.0 p.a. "against which decision Mr Rainnie dissented". Mr Cameron was also appointed Treasurer at £2 p.a. "both appointments to be held during the pleasure of the Board." Mr James Forbes of Tombreck was appointed School Board Officer at £1.10.0. p,a.

1 May 1873

Meeting "within the parish school".

Mr Forbes refused to act as Officer for less than £2 p.a. and this was agreed "after some discussion". He was instructed to take an educational census of the parish.

15 May 1873

Meeting "at the School House of Glenbuchat".

The school rate was set at 111/2p and the parochial board was to be so informed. . A schedule for the Board of Education was to be completed by the Clerk and laid before the next meeting.



The Officer reported that there were 17 children aged 5 to 13 not attending any school. Ho queried what his duty was, and the Board agreed to seek advice from the Board of Education.

5 June 1873.

The Schedule drawn up by the Clerk was approved.

"The Board having taken into its consideration the Educational requirements of the parish and the distance of all its inhabited parts from the different schools indicated in the accompanying schedule, are of opinion that with necessary additions to the parish school these requirements would be sufficiently met by means of (the) said parish school and the Society School at Balloch ..."

Mr Cameron had submitted application for additional accommodation.
"... At the time the school was built, about five years ago, the accommodation for the then attendance was ample, but since that time the annual enrolment has increased from 46 to 120 ... an increase which no one could at that time have anticipated, otherwise I am sure Mr Stewart and the Earl of Fife's Trustees, who showed every disposition to act liberally in the matter, would have given greater accommodation..."

The Board agreed to forward Hr Cameron's request for additional accommodation to the Education Board, Mr Rennie dissenting because he thought it premature.

22 July 1873

Approval received from the Board of Education to the request for additional accommodation.

"The Board ... in accordance therewith resolve new to take steps forthwith for the erection of the addition sanctioned to be made to the public, i.e., the old parish school. In order to this, they resolve to employ the services of Mr William Gauld, whom the Board believe to be fully qualified, as a practical architect, to furnish the Board at an early date with the requisite plans for (the) said enlargement, and estimate of the probable expenses..."

Mr William Michie of Badenyon "appeared before the Board in answer to the summons sent to him as failing to provide elementary education for two of his children, and being asked his reasons ... stated such as were satisfactory to the Board, and promised to send his children to school after the Harvest vacation."

Discussion of whether Mr Cameron could act as franks: Clerk and Treasurer to the Board, while he was Teacher at the school. The majority of the board wanted him to act, but Mr Rainnie did not. "Mr Rainnie gave in an Extract Minute of the Deacon's Court of the Free Church of Strathdon and Glenbuchat, relative to the transference of the Free Church Female School at Belnacraig, on certain conditions to the school Board of Glenbuchat. This offers the Board respectfully declined."

5 August 1873

Mr Gauld's plan adopted -- cost to be £110.

Discussion of the Clerkship continued.

School timetable approved: -
10 to 11 Devotion and religious instruction
11 to 1 Secular instruction
1 to 2 Interval
2 to 4 Secular instruction
To close with devotional, exercise.

10 September 18723

Mr Cameron offers his resignation as Clerk and Treasurer but is asked to continue.

The Board of Education says they cannot make a grant for building because, counting the Free Church school, there is sufficient school accommodation in the perish. Mr Rainnie said, however, that the Free Church School would probably not carry on.

11 November 1873

Report that the Trustees of the Earl of Fyfe and their steward Mr Stewart had declined to continue the grant of £10 pa towards the teacher’s salary at the Free Church School and in these circumstances the school could not continue after the time of the present teacher.

The Board therefore to write to the Board of Education explaining about the Free Church School, and also that "... the Society School at Balloch, reported as sufficient to accommodate 46 scholars, situated as it is in quite a remote corner of the district is available to only a few (some 14 or 16 children} from this parish, leaving the others to be provided for in the public school which lies within their roach ... while the public school, which consists of but one apartment can accommodate only 63 the actual attendance at it in the course of each of the last two winters has been upwards of 100, it being at the same time shrines obligatory on the master to have a female department carried on in connection with and actually in his school;"

10 December 1873

Reported that the female teacher of the Freed Church School was on the outlook for another job.

Mr Cameron was asked to withdraw his resignation as Clerk and Treasurer but he declined. Mr James Forbes, Tombreck appointed at 35 p.a. The other applicant for the job had been Mr William Begg; Bridge of Buchat. Mr Brenner was appointed to conduct the Board’s correspondence with the Board of Education — against the wishes of Mr Rainnie, who said this was the Clerk's job. Insurance against fire to be taken out: on the school £120 and the Schoolhouse £280.

7 January 1874
Financial matters considered, including the setting of school fees
S I or under 2/- per quarter
S I to III 2/6
SI11 to VI 3/-
Latin and Higher Branches 4/- per quarter

1 February 1874

Meeting took place in the Vestry of the Free Church (which then became its normal meeting place, except when meetings took place at the school).

1 July 1874

HM Inspector's report on the school showed that it would receive a grant of £52.5.0. for the year to May 1874.
The grant it be handed over to Mr Cameron "he undertaking to pay for the current year the expense of the Pupil Teacher or two if necessary and also of a Sewing Mistress for the School."

30 September 1874

The Board to call a public meeting of ratepayers "for the purpose of ascertaining their views in regard to the appointment of the school staff." Mr Rainnie objected that only ratepayers, not heads of families, were to be consulted.

2 November 1874

Reported that the public meeting had agreed to the appointment of "a certificated Assistant Female Teacher who has had a Normal Training. The pupil teacher, Miss E.C. Findlayson to be given notice.

9 December 18174

Mr Steward (steward to the Earl of Fyfe) had agreed that the Board could have up to half an acre for the playground -"granted in Feu for that purpose ... the ground to be secured to the Board by Charter and the yearly feu duty to be 10/6."

21 February 1875

Boys' and gir1s'p1aygrounds to be separate.

I June 1875

"Messrs Rainnie and Hattie were appointed a committee to inspect the repairs done by Mr Gauld on the Teacher's House and the Treasurer was instructed to pay him £7."

12 July 1875

Mr Gauld, Architect, to receive his £7, the inspection having been satisfactory.
"The Clerk laid before the Board Her Majesty’s Inspector's Report on the public school which was as follows - ‘The Season of Visit is unsuitable and too late for the district. Many of the children present had been absent for some weeks before the day of inspection had evidently forgotten what they once knew. The work is honestly and well performed and the results indicate skilful and efficient touching. Reading is correct out the children should speak cut better. Meanings arc better given in the 3rd Standard than in the 2nd. Copy books should he kept clean. Arithmetic is accurate and rapid. Grammar in the 4th and 5th is decidedly good. History good. Geography weak. Discipline good. Sewing very good. Larger maps are required',"

9 August 1875

The Board received estimates for laying out the playground and erecting
privies.

2 February 1876

A beech hedge and a few sturdy hardy spruce trees to he planted round the playground.

4 April 1876

The three-yearly School Board elections had produced the following result: -
The Rev. John Brenner EC Minister
Mr John Wattie Farmer Milltown
Mr George Begg Farmer Blackhillock
Mr William Begg Carpenter Bridge of Buchat
Mr Charles Ogg Farmer Baltimore

Mr Bremner appointed Chairman. Mr James Forbes Clerk, Treasurer and Officer.

Miss Dawson's letter of resignation was laid on the table because it appeared that she had left without giving notice.
Miss Jessie Reid of Baltimore was appointed to take charge of the Industrial Department
and Junior classes until the Inspector's visit.

22 May 1876

Miss Christine Copland (at present teacher at Whitehouse, Tough to be Female Assistant,

5 June 1876
Mrs Kesson (formerly Miss Dawson) applied for her back pay.

The Board confirmed payments for Mr John Wattle, Bellabeg, Strathdon as Monitor, and Miss Jessie Reid, Baltimore, as Sewing Mistress.

5 July 1876.

HMI Report: "The provisionally certificated Mistresses left on the 10th April a successor to be appointed without delay, a well-qualified Monitor, a second year’s student at Aberdeen University temporarily fills the vacancy. Some few maps have been supplied.
The school generally gives evidence of faithful work ... Very good attainments in Latin. Good industrial work."

27 December 1876

Payment of £1 to James Barron, Builder, "for repairing damage done by fire on the Teacher's house." Insurance to cover the payment.

14 (or 17) October 1877

Mr Bremner (absent from this meeting) writes enclosing a letter he has received from Miss Copland resigning her post as Assistant Teacher.

31 December 1877
Miss Annie Chapman to succeed Miss Copland.

29 August 1878

"The Clerk submitted notice in respect of Lands Valuation and was instructed to inform the Assessor that the Teacher
Mr Cameron was Life Renter and Proprietor of the premises as formerly and that the Board did not consider themselves liable for any charge in connection therewith."

8 April 1879

First meeting of newly—elected School Board — one member too few, for lack of a candidate, but sufficient for a quorum: -
William Begg, Merchant, Bridge of Buchat
John Hattie, Farmer, Milltown of Glenbuchat
John Reid, Farmer, Newton of Glenbuchat
William Beattie, Farmer, Netherton of Glenbuchat

Mr John Wattie elected as Chairman.
The Board nominated Mr John Dawson, Farmer, Easter Buchat to fill the vacant place on the Board.
James Forbes re-appointed as Clerk etc.

2 June 1879

"The Clerk then submitted a letter from Mr James Cameron, Teacher, of this date, requesting some repairs of the Plaster in the teacher's house and also some alterations on the doors of two bedrooms." Approved, and Alexander Callam, Carpenter, of Newton to do the work.

11 August 1879

HMI‘s Report rather unfavourable.

4 November 1879

Miss Chapman having resigned, the Chairman had communicated with Mr Joseph Ogilvie, Rector of the Church of Scotland Training College in Aberdeen, and produced five possible applications.
He had done this to save the expense of advertising the job.
Miss Helen Mints, Schoolhouse, Clatt, appointed.

25 June 1880

HMI Report — Still somewhat unfavourable, but less harsh than the last one.

27 June 1881

HHI Report — better.

The Board certified that Mr James Cameron MA was an efficient teacher
- "The system hitherto pursued in this parish was to give pupils instruction at this School for some time in the Higher Branches then send them a few months to a Grammar School preparatory to entering the University."

18 April 1882

Newly-elected School Board:
_
Mr William Begg, Merchant, Bridge of Buchat
Mr James Bremner, Farmer, Mains of Glenbuchat
Mr Charles Ogg, Farmer, Baltimore, Glenbuchat
The Rev. John Scott, Minister, The Manse, Glenbuchat
Mr John Wattle, Farmer, Milltown of Glenbuchat

Mr Scott elected Chairman.
Hr James Forbes confirmed as Clerk etc.

1 December 1882

Miss Margaret A. Hill, Aberdeen, to take the place of Miss Minto, who had resigned.

14 July 1883
Mr William Begg, Farmer, Badenyon, nominated to the Board in place of Mr Charles Ogg, deceased.
HMI Report noted as received, but text not given.
Mr Cameron's request for higher pay set aside.
Mr Stewart, Teacher of Balloch School, reports that the SPCK may withdraw their support from it in 1884.

6 February 1884

Hr Begg of Badenyon refused to serve on the School Board, so Mr John Michie, Farmer of Badenyon, was nominated in his place.
7 April 1884

Consideration of an SPCK circular about Balloch School.
" I. To whom do the School Buildings belong, and are they in good condition ?
Ans: So far as we know the school belongs to the Proprietors and it is in a good state of repair. It was built by the people of the parish ... "
II: Ans: 54 Pupils are enrolled. Average attendance in 1883 was 32.
III. Ans:' The School Master gets £50 pa. plus, the SPOK grant.
VII. Ans: "... the school is absolutely necessary for the district because of the number of children and the distance from any other school ..."

9 April 1885.

First meeting of the newly-elected School Board: -

Mr William Begg, Merchant, Bridge of Buchat '
Mr James Bremner, Farmer, Mains of Glenbuchat
Mr John Michie, Farmer, Badenyon
Mr Alexander Fletcher, Gamekeeper, The Lodge, Glenbuchat
Mr John Wattie, Farmer, Milltown of Glenbuchat

Mr John Wattie becomes Chairman.

23 May 1885

Appointment of Miss Elsie C. Finlayson, asst teacher at the Public School, Scalloway, Shetland, in place of Miss Hill.
Salary reduced to £48 pa because the roll is now lower.

9 June 1885

Mr William Reid, Farm Manager, Kirkton of Glenbuchat, nominated a Board member in place of Mr William Begg who had emigrated to Australia.

31 December 1886

Repairs approved — "alteration of porches and other repairs at the public school ,... slating ... land) other repairs on school and schoolhouse."
Requests for use of the school received-from Mr Charles Ogg, secretary of the Conversatzione Committee, and the Rev. Hr Spark,
president of the musical association.

Mr Cameron loses his merit norks after an inspection by Professor Laurie for the Dick Bequest which says that the school is in fair but not as good as it was in 1884.

15 June 1887
Approval of papering the parlour at the teacher's house.

17 April 1888

"The Clerk submitted letters of date 6th and 15:11 April from D.J. Anderson, Comedian, Melrose, application for the use of the Public School for on Entertainment on Friday 27 April ... after deliberation the Board unanimously refused the application."

21 June 1888

The last School Board election declared invalid by the Sheriff Clerk Depute. The result is that the FC Minister replaces the EC Minister as Chairman of the Board.

21 March 1889

Concern expressed over falling numbers in the school, and a census to be taken.
The Board resolves that Mr Cameron should pay for the "industrial work" in the school.

11 June 1889

Mr Cameron refuses to pay, and the matter is let to lie on the table.
Census of population within 2 miles of the public-school shows 291. Claim to be node to the Department of Education for a £10 distance grant.

6 August 1889
Authorised the repair of the school house kitchen with English lime - the offices to be repaired with cement.

7 September 1889

Decision to charge no foes up the S 5
Prizes to be given by the Board for Bible knowledge.

7 October 1889

Miss Finlayson resigns, and Mr Cameron agrees to give up his Milne Bequest fees towards the £40 salary to be offered for another certificated assistant teacher.

1 November 1889

The Milne Bequest Trustees informed that there were fewer than 15 scholars in S VI, but that these should be taught free.

"The Board considering the small attendance at the school cannot see its way to proceed in the election of Assistant Teacher unless Mr Cameron agrees to resign ...-£25 towards the salary."
This motion was moved by the Chairman, seconded by Mr Charles Ogg, and opposed by Mr Fletcher seconded by Mr John Michie. The motion was carried, and Mr Cameron to be informed of it.

12 November 1862

The dispute over money compromised, and Miss Maggie Elphinstone appointed Assistant Teacher.

31 December 1889

The school to become wholly non—fee paying because of a change in the terms of the Milne Bequest.

2 November 1891

Miss Elphinstone resigns.

22 November 1891

Miss Mary Anderson to succeed Miss Elphinstone.

27 January 1892

Miss Robina Fraser of Burnhaven appointed (Miss Anderson had not taken up the post?).

16 July 1892

Agreed that the Board would take over Balloch School, jointly with Strathdon.

8 October 1892
Miss Fraser resigns.

10 December 1894
Miss Margaret Murray, Alford, in place of Miss Fraser.

28 September 1896
Messrs being and Son, Plumbers, Inverurie, to be paid £98.18.0d
"for bringing water supply to the public school and School House."
Mr Cameron to retire at Whitsun 1897, on a pension of £50 pa.

8 April 1897

Mr Cameron to be asked to accept 2/S3rds of £50.
Miss Murray to be appointed Acting Teacher in charge of the school at an enhanced salary of £69 pa.

24 April 1897

Mr Cameron refuses the suggestion above. He is supported by Mr Profit, but opposed by the Chairman.

22 June 1897

"The Board resolved to lease the school croft at a rent to be afterwards fixed, and sanctioned the Clerk to pay the valuations as taken over by the proprietor from Mr Cameron amounting to £13.13.10 and also the-wooden shed and Garden fence at £2.12.6. in all £16.6.4. Account for preparing the garden £1.2.11 and Poor Rate accounts were also paid total £18.2.1O. Instructions were given to have land prepared and green crop laid down."

12 July 1897

Clerk reported that the sale of the grass on the school croft had realised £3.13.0.

A short lest or five selected from the 28 applicants for the Teacher's job.

The Clerk to write to the five asking "whether they have any friend if appointed who (could) undertake to teach the industrial work, whether they are qualified to teach music ... and whether if appointed they would be prepared to rent the school croft." To request also a full-length photo of each applicant.

21 July 1897

Mr William J. Gall of 52 Rosemount Place, Aberdeen, to be offered the job.

21 December 1897

Mr Gall's appointment not ratified by the Education Department.
The job to be offered to Mr John Horne or Alva Academy.

Hr Horne will take the Job. A teacher of industrial work to be paid £3.10.0. for a 4-hour week, and a Monitor to be paid £3 a week.

12 March 1898

The school remains closed because of scarlet fever.

Miss Hay of Upperton to do the industrial work.
Miss Edith Reid to be a Temporary Monitor.

"The School Board resolved to hold in their own hands the wood shed and palings connected with the House, Mr George Duncan dissenting, also to charge Mr Horne Schoolmaster for manure and palings on the croft and with assessment on house as occupier to amount to
£11.3.2., Rev. W. Profeit dissenting."

The Board to petition the parish about the bad state of Crag Road.

9 July 1896

HMI Report good, Average attendance 49. "Considering the improved condition of the school and that the teacher should have the benefit thereof the Board resolved to givo him a bonus of £6."

Mops of Australasia and Africa, and several wall sheets on Nelson's royal science were ordered.

The Board inspected the school house and asked Alex. Callam to estimate for repairs.

13 August 1898

"The Board than considered and adopted the estimates as lodged by Alex Callam, Newton, for repairs on School House amounting to £11.16.0. subject to some slight alterations. The Board also agreed to have the school House harled and pointed and the School pointed with cement and that whore absolutely necessary the spouting repaired. The Clerk was instructed to employ John Stuart, Mill of Glenbuchat for that purpose."

5 November 1898

"The Board examined repairs done on School and School house which were considered satisfactory and accounts were submitted by John Stewart, Mason for Harling and pointing amounting to £4.6.6. and from Alex Callam Carpenter papering painting and other repairs
amounting to £1S.3.5. ... the Clerk was than instructed to intimate to Mr Horne that the School House had now been put in a state of repair and it was the unanimous desire of the Board that he would tack possession and occupy it immediately."

Resolved to appoint a newly-qualified female teacher.

31 December 1898

Miss Jeannie Stuart of Nigg commenced her duties as Assistant Teacher

8 April 1899
Mr Horns reported a surprise visit from HMI who had recommended gravelling the front of the school, obtaining pictures, photographs, etc. This was agreed.
New blinds ordered for all seven school windows "and also to employ William Ross, Glenkindie Mill to repair the burst pipe at the girls ‘well and also to try and adopt some plan to prevent a recurrence of this damage in future."

5 August 1899

Average attendance 53

21 July 1900

Mr John Grey Horne gives in his resignation with effect from September next.
"The Board at the same time agreed to take over two grates in the school House at valuation and also grant him liberty to store coals in the shed."
The job of Teacher to be advertised. "The salary to be granted was fixed at £90 pa. with School House and garden which must be occupied."

18 August 1900

Short leet of 5 drawn from 15 applications.

3 September 1900

Mr James N. watt of Lochbay School, Waternish, Skye appointed.

12 June 1901

Letter from Mr Watt requesting repairs to the school House refereed to a committee.
"The attic rooms where broken by the late Teacher Mr Horne were ordered to be repaired at his Expense."

3 August 1901

"Complaints having been made to the quality of the water, as affecting the health of the scholars and attendance at the School " samples were sent for analysis.
"The Committee recommended certain of the repairs on the School House and Coal House asked by Mr Watt to be done..."

31 December 1901

"A report on the attendance at the Pub1ic School for the months of November and December was laid on the table and considering the late snow storms was deemed satisfactory. The report on two samples of water ,.. was submitted but consideration of the subject was referred until an examination of the source of the water could be made."

10 June 1902

"The Clerk submitted a letter from hr Watt Teacher Public School drawing special attention to matters requiring to be done about the Dwelling House etc. The Board resolved as follows, viz. The order for repairs to the attics was given in to Mr Callam 12 months ago, and on his attention being drawn to the matter now promise: to perform the order as soon as a Plasterer can he got in the district. The request for a grate to Bedroom upstairs granted.
The Board are Disappointed to hear of the broken-down state of the kitchen tap again, considering the expense it cost to keep it going during winter. Ordered a Plumber to be got to
examine and report on its state when found in the district..."

31 December 1902

"The Board took up consideration of matters concerning the Headmaster of the Public-School Mr James N. Watt, and resolved to ask him.
(1) To become a total abstainer from all intoxicating liquors, and not to keep them in the house.
(2) To cease connection with the Volunteers.
(3) To guard against Debt.

The Board also resolved that should he fail to comply with these conditions or break them he be requested as he hereby is to send in his resignation. The Clerk was instructed to send an extract of this Minute to Mr Watt and ask for a reply within a week."

28 February 1903

Hr Watt's reply laid on the table; The Chairman (Mr Profit) and Mr Ross to confer with him about the work of the school.

10 April 1903

The Sanitary Inspector reports a nuisance at the School.

21 April 1903

"The Board took up consideration of the case of Mr James Watt Head Teacher in the Public School and after full discussion and consideration agreed unanimously agreed to request him to hand in his resignation."

6 June 1903

HMI's Report. "The school is conducted with satisfactory intelligence and is in a creditable state of efficiency. The buildings are considerably out of repair but the erection of a new school in a more central situation has been for some time under consideration
by the Board."
The Board decided to consult the Proprietor about the disposal of the buildings and the acquisition of a more central site.
The Board also resolved to terminate the engagement of Mr Watt. ,

11 June 1903

The Clerk reports that the school was closed by the medical authorities’ 7 May.

The nuisance at the school had been removed, at a cost or £4.10.0.
.
13 July 1904

Resignation of Miss Janice Shawn Stewart accepted. Mr Watt's notice given him by the Board.
Agreed that a new Head Teacher, preferably a graduate, at a salary of £135 and a new female certificated teacher at £60 be sought by advertisement.

3 September 1904

Mr James Ferguson hackle MA of Strachcn (who had not been on the short leet) appointed Head Teacher at a salary of £135 with the school house and garden.
Miss Horne of Keith appointed female teacher at a salary of £52.10.0.

13 September 10904

A letter from Mr Hackie considered unsatisfactory, and his appointment cancelled.

12 September 1904

Mr James D. Dobson, The Academy, Langholm (Glasgow) appointed Head Teacher. (He had been on the original short leet)

24 September 1904

Hr Dobson said that the Salary offered was too low. The Clerk was to draw his attention to the terms of the Dick Bequest.

31 December 1904

Mr Dobson's reply considered unsatisfactory and his appointment revoked.
Mr R.I. Annand of Falkland, Fyfe appointed. He sent Mr Murdoch Word as interim teacher until he could take up duty on 1 December.

Miss Horne resigned as of February 1905.

"Letters were received from Mr Annand and Miss Horne drawing the Board’s attention
to the very unsatisfactory state of the Public School Educationally in both departments..."

"The Board also received letter from Mr Annand of date 22 Inst. requesting some repairs to the dwelling house, Blinds, papering etc. The Board instructed the Clerk to have all wood and plaster made whole, as also the kitchen range, but declining declined papering or supplying blinds."

28 January 1905

Miss Christina Robertson, Ythan Bank, Ellon to be female teacher at a salary of £50.

10 June 19O5

"They then took consideration of the School Board property around the School House of old. They resolved to repair the stone dyke all round and where the dyke fails to build a larch paling of four rails. The garden also to be repaired or built anew with wire netting
or upright larch."

10 July 1905

HMI Report. "This school is very inconveniently situated for the majority of the scholars. The Infant room is cramped for accommodation the furniture is antiquated in both rooms and the school itself is out of date. The work of the new Head Master and his assistant is most promising and the tone of the scholars is admirable."

5 March 1906

Miss Robertson resigns.

20 March 1906

Only one applicant for Miss Robertson's job "and ‘considered not quite suitable", so the job to be re-advertised.

5 April 1906

George Mi1ne.Logie, Proprietor (i.e. Col. Milne) is among ‘those elected to the School Board. The Rev. Spark elected Chairman. Miss Hume from West Watten Public School Caithness appointed female assistant.

31 December 1906'

The Clerk of the Board intimated his resignation because of his increasing ago.

22 March 1907
Mr John Callas of Newton appointed Clerk at £8 p.a. and Compulsory Officer at £2.

12 Octachora 1902
Miss Hume resigns.
Message of sympathy sent on the death of the late Clerk, Mr James Forbes.

12 November 1907

Miss Isabella Coutts, Towie, who was the only applicant, appointed Female Assistant.

11 December 1908
Letter from the Sanitary Inspector at Alford recommending work to be done on the school :-
"1st To have the holes in the Plaster in the Classrooms filled up and the Walls and Ceilings whitewashed or distempered.
2nd To have the lobbies and privies plastered and limewashed.
3rd He also recommends sawdust in a slightly dampened condition to bo used on the floors during the process of sweeping."
The Inspector's letter to lie on the table.

20 March 1909

The new Board elected includes
Col. George Milne, Shipowner, Logic, Pitcaple.
Spark becomes Chairman.

11 June 1909

"The Clerk laid before the Board a letter from Mr Annand intimating that he had been at the expense of some wallpaper for the house and asking the Board if they would sanction the expense of laying it on. The Board sanctioned the payment of the same. The Board then took
into consideration the repairs on the School and Schoolhouse, the Clerk intimated to the Board that he had examined the School House and found that the ground floors and skirtings were bad and very damp, but the Board did not finally settle what was to-be done as to repairs."

13 August 1902

Miss Coutts resigns; also, Miss Gate of Balloch School.
Repairs to the School approved: -
Refloor and reseat the senior room and give it a new grate.
Both rooms to be distempered and the plaster repaired.
Inside of porches to be limewashed and the WC put into a sanitary condition.

"Regarding the repairs to the School House they were left over in the meantime unless any small repair wanted at present."

28 August 1909

Consideration of applications for post of female teacher — 32 applications having been received.

11 September 1909

Miss Hunter, Forres, appointed Assistant Teacher.
Mr Annand resigns. His post to be advertised at a salary of £110.

25 September 1909

Consideration o applications for Head Teacher's post. 13 applications received. Mr Alexander Mackenzie, Killen, Avoch, Ross-shire, to be appointed. Extra salary to be allowed for evening continuation classes.

11 June 1910

"The Board then took into consideration the repairs required to be done to the School House and offices. The Board agreed to cement Kitchen floor, Entrance lobby and pantry and also to repair wooden floors and doors, paper and paint some of the rooms. The present coal shed being done, the Board agreed to convert part of the present stable into a Coal House and we. The Clerk was instructed to see and get the work done ..."

22 October 1910

"As regards the lining of the kitchen walls of the School House 4 feet up the Board decided to get it done and to leave the lobby as it is meantime."

I February 1911

Report on the last quarter: -
Average number on the roll 64
Average attendance 56
Average percentage 87.4

8 May 1911

"Fencing in front of the School House, The Board agreed that a new one was required — and instructed the Clerk to get a new one put up, the same as the one round the garden. Porch for front door of School House - The Board delayed that in the meantime."

Attendance record showed an average of 92%.

30 September 1911

Review or insurance cover: the School and School House to be left at their former value, viz £600.

16 November 1211

Repairs to school sanctioned.

2 March 1912

Education Department Report says: -

"The Instruction of the Infant and Junior classes is unsatisfactory.
The children are restless and badly trained and show poor attainments.
The work of the Senior School is distinctly good and is improving.
The Junior Room is insufficiently heated and a better grate should be supplied ..." etc.

The Report goes on to suggest that the school should meet at 9.30 instead of 10 a.m. "A word of praise is due to the teachers for arranging to provide hot cocoa for the children during the winter months."
"A letter was read from Mr Mackenzie about the building of a bathroom to the back of the School House, and also as to an erection of a wooden porch at the front door, and also a new front door, and to the building up of a broken portion of the back wall of the old shed and
also, the repairs of the water tap of the kitchen sink.
In regard to the bathroom the Board instructed the Clerk to take a look at it and report the cost etc. and also to report to the cost of the porch and door, the Clerk was also instructed to get the wall repaired and ales the water tap..."

8 June 1911

"The Board then took into consideration the bathroom as left over from last meeting" (i.e. 4 Hay) "The Clerk laid before the Board a probable estimate for the cost, which after consideration the Board and the building in the meantime owing to the cost and also owing to theexpenses incurred in connection with the repairs to the school."

21 August 1912

Miss Hunter resigns.
Hr Mackenzie asks for an enhancement of salary and is granted £120.

7 September 1912
Miss Jamieson appointed Teacher at Balloch School at £60.

9 May 1914

Mr Mackenzie asks for and gets a portable boiler for his washhouse.

31 October 1914

Miss Jamieson resigns as Assistant Teacher.

9 December 1915

Miss Lizzie Daniel Oyne appointed at £65

12 June 1917

"The renewal of the School House offices burnt lately by fire was considered and the
offer (of) Mr John Callam
Carpenter to complete the repairs for the sum of £42.10.0. was accepted. The repairs to be carried out as soon as possible."

22 September 1917

Letter from Mrs Mackenzie saying that Mr Mackenzie "had to undergo a serious operation and would be unfit to resume teaching on 10 October
The Board agreed to extend the holidays to 22 October and instructed tbs Clerk to express the Board's sympathy."

12 June 1918

"The Board had under its consideration the serious decline of he population and consequently the so attending Central School and resolved to instruct the Clerk to the Education Department of this condition and desire it to ascertain the opinion of the Education Department whether one Teacher would be sufficient.
The population at present is about 260 and scholars on Roll at Central School 40 and at Balloch 11 pupils from this parish. The Board are of opinion that the decline will continue."

12 May 1919

‘The final meeting of the Board was held in the Hall Glenbuchat ..-'
The pay of the Assistant Teacher raised to £100.

"The Board would recommend the school to be changed to a central site as the children are unable often on account of the bad roads to attend. This recommendation of change of site was mentioned a few years ago by HM Inspector of Schools."
Mr Mackenzie's request for a school garden to be met if possible, so late in the season.




CENSUS OF 1851
Schoolhouse
William Reid; head oi household; unmarried; age 31; parochial schoolmaster; b. Kildrummy, Aberdeenshire
Elspet Milne; servant; unmarried; age 36; house servant; b. Coldstone, Aberdeenshire
Penelope Forbes; head of household; widow; age 38; farmer of 30 acres (1 labourer); b. Abernathy, Inverness-shire
James Forbes; son; unmarried; age 17; widow's son {employed at home); b. Glenbuchat
William Forbes; son; unmarried; age 15; scholar; b. Glenbuchat
Elizabeth Forbes; daughter; age 13; scholar; b. Glenbuchat Jean Forbes; daughter; age 11; scholar; b. Glenbuchat
James Drysdale; servant; married; age 45; farm labourer; b. Dunfermline, Fyfsshire

Travellers Camp Belnacraig
Aaron Smith; ledger; married; age 50; traveller (said to be umbrella mender); b. Perth
Elizabeth Smith; ledger; married; age 40; traveller's wife; b. Hamilton, Argyle Isabella Smith; lodger; age 1; travellers daughterly. Hamilton, Argyle

CENSUS 1871
James Cameron; head of household; unmarried; age 38; parochial schoolmaster; h. Kirkmichael, Banffshire
Margaret Cameron; sister; unmarried; age 24; achoo1mastsr's sister; b. Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire
Elspet Finlayson; niece; age 10; scholar; b. Strathdon, Aberdeenshire
William Wilson; boarder; unmarried; age 18; scholar; _ b. Inverurie, Aberdeenshire _
George Wilson, boarder; age 15; scholar; b. Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
Ann Stuart; servant; unmarried; age 18; general servant (domestic); h. Kirkmichael; Banffshire

Tombreck
James Forbes; head of household; married; age 37; farmer of h8 acres an arable; b. Glenbuchat
Jane Forbes; wile; married; age 35; farmer's wife; b. Glenbuchat
James Forbes; son; age h; farmer's son; b. Glenbuchat
John William Forbes; son; age 2; farmer's son; b. Glenbuchat
George Forbes; son; age 4 months; farmer's son; b. Glenbuchat
Penelope Forbes; mother; widow; age 60; annuitant; b. Abernathy, 1nvernessshirc

CENSUS OF 1881
Schoolhouse
James Cameron; head of household; unmarried; age 48; schoolmaster, HA Aberdeen University; b. Kirkmichael, Banffshire
Margaret Cameron; sister; unmarried; age 33; b. Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire
Peter Grant; nephew; age 1;; scholar; b. Strathdon, Aberdeenshire
Rooms with at least one window = 7

Tombreck
James Forbes; head of household; married; age b7; farmer; b. Glenbuchat
Jane Forbes; wife; age 45; £farmer’s wife; b. Glenbuchat
Janus Forbes; son; age 14; scholar; b. Glenbuchat
John Forbes; son; age 12; scholar; b. Old Machar; Aberdeenshire
Elizabeth Forbes; daughter; age 9; scholar; b. Glenbuchat
Alexander Forbes; son; age 5; scholar; b. Glenbuchat
Helen F. Minto; boarder; unmarried; age 2h; assistant female teacher; b. Auchterless, Aberdeenshire
Rooms with at least one window -= 6


The Dick Bequest
Mention is made in the School Board Minutes about the Dick bequest being used to supplement salaries.

Note from the comments below that it transpires that the money from the bequest originated in the proceeds of the Slave Trade. As a result of this the bequests have been stopped and discussion underway whether the capital sum should be returned to Jamaica.

The Dick Bequest is a charity which distributed grants to help teachers in Aberdeenshire and Moray develop their skills and also provides for the purchase of school equipment. It was established in 1832 in memory of James Dick who died in 1828 and left over £113,000 in his will with instructions for the setting up of a bequest fund to help the schoolmasters and schools in Aberdeenshire, Banffshire and Morayshire.

For nearly two centuries, the Dick Bequest has helped causes related to education in Moray and Aberdeenshire. In December 2019 the fund was valued at £1.7M. Approximately £5,000 goes each year towards new school equipment in Moray, while a further £10,000 is directed towards training opportunities for teachers The Dick Bequest fund now stands at more than £1.6million.

James Dick was born in Forres in 1743 and the research carried out by David Alston and Donald Morrison shows that Dick was involved in the slave trade in Jamaica for 20 years and built his fortune from the resulting profits. Alston and Morrison believe that the money be returned to Jamaica to benefit schools and education there.
However, that funding to Scottish schools could now be stopped after councillors backed a motion to urging ministers to redistribute the money to Jamaica.

SSPCK, the Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge.

The Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge (SSPCK), an Edinburgh- based charitable organisation established by Royal Charter in 1709, was for much of the eighteenth century the only organisation of its kind in the Highlands and Islands

Firstly, in Edinburgh in 1709 the Society in Scotland for Promoting Christian Knowledge was founded as the `younger sister` of the Society for the Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK), which was launched in 1698 by Anglicans in London. The aim of the SSPCK was to establish schools, above all in the `uncivilised` Highlands and Islands, to `Teach to Read, especially the Holy Scriptures and other good and pious Books; As also to Teach Writing, Arithmetick, and such like Degrees of Knowledge`. Catholic missionaries had already established a foothold in the north and the SSPCK hoped to `settle the religious situation, foster a sense of belonging to the Presbyterian Church and provide a bulwark against Jacobitism`. The SSPCK was accepted by the Church of Scotland which in April 1723 ordered a collection for its work in the Highlands and Islands .

Secondly, in 1786 the Scottish branch of the Society for Promoting Religious Knowledge among the Poor (SPRKP) was founded in Edinburgh. The SPRKP had been established in England in 1750 as an inter-denominational group which aimed to provide bibles and religious tracts throughout the land and to open Sabbath and evening schools. Thirdly, the Society for Propagating the Gospel at Home (SPGH) was founded in Scotland in 1797 by Robert and James Haldane and other evangelists with the three priorities of mission, ecumenism and education. It became noted for its itinerant lay preachers who attracted great crowds to their meetings and became a thorn in the side of the Church of Scotland.
Picture added on 08 November 2022 at 21:51
This picture is in the following groups
school
Please add your comments about this picture using the form below.

Comments


Your Name


Your email address - this will be shown on the page and will allow the system to notify you of further comments added to this picture.




school

8 Glenbuchat School8 School143  Educational Reports for Glenbuchat127 The Old School Glenbuchat202 1851 Arithmetic book of Peter Davidson121 St Margaret's School at Glenbuchat100 Balloch School deterioration 399 Balloch School deterioration 298 Changes i the Balloch School over time18 Schools in Glenbuchat esp the Balloch School