Glenbuchat Heritage

1 Fornation of Parish
The Glenbuchat Image Library
1 Fornation of Parish

This booklet produced by John Henderson in 1917 is s very comprehensive history of Glenbuchat and a description of grave inscriptions, a number of which are now lost.

Click for Glenbuchat Epitaphs and Inscriptions album

GLENBUCHAT.

The district has been known by various titles, among which were-Inverbuquhate in 1451, Glenbuchat in 1473, Glenbouchat in 1507, Glenbuchet in 1549, Glenbuchat in 1582, Inner Buchet in 1654, Glen Buicket in 1792, and Glenbucket in 1810 onwards, till recently altered to the title it possessed at the date of the formation of the parish. (Chamberlain Rolls; Reg. Epis. Aberd. ;Reg. Mag. Sig. ; Antiquities, IV. ; Church Tokens, etc.)

Old writings show variations in these forms, and indicate that there was no fixed title.

CHAPEL. PARISH CHURCH, AND FORMATION OF PARISH.

The district had in early times a chapel which depended upon the Church of Logie- Mar. It was erected into an independent parish in 1473, by Bishop Thomas Spens, with the consent of the dean and chapter of the Cathedral of Aberdeen, and of Sir Edward Makdowel, vicar of Logie. The deed of erection recites the perils of storms and floods besetting the inhabitants while passing and repassing between Glenbuchat and the Mother Church of Logie, through an uninhabited tract of hill and waste, where, in one day at Eastertide five or six people perished on their way to the Church of Logie. The Church of Glenbuchat—dedicated to St Peter—was to be served by a resident parochial chaplain, who was to have the church land of Chapeltone, with the great tithe as well of Chapeltone as of the town of Belnaboth, according to their ancient and fixed limits, viz.

“From the Inuor of Aldecassen even to the torrent of Corunobagen, and from hence even to Clachnelle," with the altarages and other small perquisites from the district which had previously pertained to the vicar of Logie, together with 20s Scots yearly from the vicar of Logie in respect of his being released from the cure of Glenbuchat. (Reg. Epis. Aberd., I., pp. 307- 309.)

The first parish church is believed to have stood in the graveyard and within a few feet of the present church. Portions of its foundations—or, at least, of the church
erected in 1620—are still occasionally come upon when new graves are being dug. It is supposed to have had built into its walls a bishop's mitre and head, doubtless emblematical of the gratitude of the parishioners to Bishop Thomas Spens for his influence and services in connection with the formation of the parish. In later times this relic was in the outer wall of the manse, from which it was recently removed when extensions were executed. Duncan Rede was vicar in 1498. On 3rd November of that year he gave sasine to the prior and procurator of the monastery of the Carmelite Friars in Aberdeen of an annuity of 13s 4d, which he had purchased from William Udny of Udny, arising from certain crofts in the burgh of Kintore.

This grant was declared by Mr Rede to be made for the salvation of his soul. In 1549, Sir John Carlile (the title was a courtesy one) was perpetual vicar, while John Ray held the office of curate. Carlile, anticipating the Reformation, succeeded, in 1549, in getting the Chapter of Aberdeen to grant a charter of feu-farm to Alexander Thomuilsoune, who had married Carlile's relative—Helen Carlile — of the lands of the Kirk Town and glebe of the vicarage of the parish, with the Alehouse and Alehouse crofts, under reservation, however, of the toft, croft, manse, and garden possessed by the curate. Ultimately, these church lands became the property of the Gordons. The minister is largely dependent on the Exchequer for his stipend. The above- mentioned church lands, with their shootings, are now assessed at almost £300 stg. per annum. At an early period, they were valued at nearly the same amount in Scots money, or one-twelfth of the present value. In 1778, Rev. James Douglas was paid £388 Scots of stipend. Dissatisfied with this, he claimed the sum paid in 1762, which was £516 17s lid Scots. The heritor resisting, the case went to court, with the result that the stipend was definitely fixed at £396 8s 4-5d Scots, which included £8, owing to Kirktown or Alehouse, belonging to Mr Strachan, Glenkindie, being omitted from the valuation.

A servitude on the tenantry of casting, drying, and driving peats to the minister was so badly per- formed in the time of Rev. Robert Scott (1808-55) that it was commuted into money —£1 10s a year. Thus, the present stipend paid by the heritor is £34 10s 8d. inclusive of money for communion elements. The present Parish Church, which is a plain, unpretentious building, was erected towards the close of the eighteenth century. It has a belfry at the east end, removed hither from the west end, by David Wood, mason, Kildrummy, about fifty years ago. The bell was cast in Holland by Peter Jansen, whose name it bears, with the date 1643. The pulpit stands against the side wall, and at one end is a small gallery which was erected about 1828 for the accommodation of the people of Glenkindie, who for a time paid seat rents.

POST-REFORMATION MINISTERS.

Rev. Arthur Skene was minister in1582, but the principal duties were discharged by William Cowper, reader, whose tenure of office extended from 1567 to 1591. As salary he had £16 Scots and the kirk glebe.

Rev. Thomas Melvile (Melville) became resident minister in 1599, with Kildrummy, Cabrach, and Logie-Mar likewise in charge. Rev. William Brown was minister in 1608, with " Innerauchie" (Strathdon) also in charge. He removed to Strathdon prior to April, 1618, and continued there for at least fifteen years.

Rev. Andrew Ker, M.A., was ordained in 1618. In 1633, he held a mortgage over the lands of Kirktown of Glenbucket for 1600 merks. He was a sufferer from the depredations of the "broken clans," and was one of those summoned to give evidence against them. In 1633, he was translated to Cabrach, but was re-translated here "while in decrepit old age." He died in December, 1662. (Row's Diary.). A tablet inscribed M. A. K., 1629 (Mi- Andrew Ker, 1629), was built into the wall of the church erected during that year. This tablet, which is still in excellent preservation, is now fixed into the top of the west gable of the present church.



Rev. David Milne, chaplain in the parish, was presented to the charge by John, Earl of Mar, in 1663, and was ordained about the summer of 1665. The charge became vacant before 26th September, 1666. Mr Milne is believed to have gone south and been afterwards settled at Cadder. (Scott 'e Fasti.)

Rev. William Christie, M.A., was instituted 24th July, 1667. He married, and had a son, Robert, besides four daughters — Christian, Ann, Elizabeth, and Joan. In October, 1673, he complained to the Bishop and Synod of "the meannes of his present maintenance," but no practical result followed. On 20th January, 1675, he "was sharplie rebuked for his absence from the last session of the Synod, and his frequent absence from the Presbytrie." He died in 1695.

Rev. William Law was ordained 4th November, 1697. Eighteen years before this, he had been appointed schoolmaster of Strichen, and was subsequently an Episcopalian minister. On 27th November, 1700, he was translated to Crimond.

Rev. Alexander Shand, M.A., was ordained 10th May, 1704. He removed to Insch in June, 1708, and died there about 1719.

Rev. John Gordon, M.A., was ordained on 9th August, 1710. He acted for some time as clerk to the Presbytery of Alford. He was translated to Gamrie in 1717, and fourteen years later was deposed for “scandalous and unedifying conversation."

Rev. Adam Oliphant was ordained 25th November, 1718. On 14th March, 1721. he married Margaret, daughter of Baillie Martin, Hawick, and had at least one son—James. He died 29th July, 1746, and, according to the custom of the period, was buried within the church.

Rev. Thomas Johnstone, who had been officiating as tutor to the family of Lord Braco, was presented by George II., and ordained 16th July, 1747. He was translated to Bohann 2nd May, 1753, and died 6th February, 1783.

Rev. Patrick Duff, son of Rev. Robert Duff, minister of Aberlour, was called in January, and ordained 2nd May, 1754. He was translated to Old Machar in 1755, and died 6th March, 1784, in his 57th year. He married (1) Henrietta Lumsden, who died l0th November, 1777, in her 47th year; and (2) Elizabeth Forbes, who died 21st December, 1828, in her 85th year.

Rev. William Duff, M.A., was called in September, and ordained 8th October, 1755. He was translated to Peterculter in 1767, and thence to Foreran in 1775.

Rev. William Duff, M.A., son of Rev. William Duff, minister of Rothiemay, was called in August, and ordained 17th September, 1767. He was translated to Keig 14th May, 1772, and died there, unmarried, 28th June, 1773, aged about 32.

Rev. James Douglas was called in July, and ordained 26th August, 1772. He was translated to Premnay 12th July, 1787, and died 29th November, 1823, in the 79th year of his age. He married Ann Duff; and their son, Robert Douglas, became minister of Ellon. During the incumbency of Mr Douglas at Glenbuchat, the church was covered with heather, and the couples were exposed inside. Poultry getting ready access during the week, it is said that a hen made her nest in " the crap o' the wa', and, getting alarmed during service on the Sunday, she flew down and lighted on the head of a parishioner." This hapless individual wore a wig, which was carried off in the bird’s flight, to the great amusement of the congregation.

The succeeding incumbent has a monument to his memory in the parish graveyard. The inscription is:
In memory of the Reverend William Spence. Minister of Glenbucket, who died 27th October, 1807, aged 59. Mary Grassick, his spouse, died 9th December, 1864, aged 90. Mary Ann. their eldest, child, died 7th July, 1814, aged 14. Robert, their second son, died and was buried at sea 23rd January, 1841, aged 38. George Booth, their grandson, died 11th August, 1850, aged 14. William, their eldest son, who died at Edinburgh 1st December, 1874, aged 73. Jane, their youngest daughter, widow of A. A. Booth, Aberdeen, who died 8th October, 1883, aged 77. The Rev. Alexander Spence, D.D., Minister of Free St Clements, Aberdeen, their third son, who died August 30th. 1890, in the 86th year of his age and 54th of his ministry.

Rev. William Spence, M.A., who was a native of Moray, was ordained 27th September, 1787. His wife, Mary Grassick, survived him for upwards of 57 years, and at the time of her death was the oldest annuitant on the Ministers' Widows’ Fund. William Spence, their eldest son, was secretary to the British Linen Company Bank, Edinburgh. Rev. Alexander Spence, D.D., third son, graduated in Arts at Marischal College in 1822, and, qualifying for the ministry, was, in 1837, ordained as colleague to Rev. John Thomson, M.D., of St Clement's Parish Church, Aberdeen. He seceded at the Disruption in 1843, and became minister of Free St Clement's. He possessed outstanding abilities, and was the author of various works.

The next minister has a railed grave with a headstone bearing the following inscription:

In memory of The Rev. Robert Scott, 47 years Minister of the Parish of Glenbucket, who died June 16th. 1855, aged 77 years.

Rev. Robert Scott, son of William Scott, farmer, Rothiemay, graduated in Arts at King's College on 27th March, 1800, and for a time was engaged in tutorial work. Qualifying for the ministry, he was presented to this charge by George III. in March, and ordained 9th June, 1808. On l0h April, 1812, he married Mary Margaret, third and youngest daughter of Rev. James Forsyth, minister of Belhelvie. (See Belhelvie.) They had two daughters— Elizabeth Mary, who married Rev. William Reid, Auchindoir, and Isabella Elizabeth, who was the first wife of Rev. Charles M'Combie of Tillyfour, minister of Lumphanan. (See Tough.)

Rev. William Gordon, son of Peter Gordon, farmer, Reekim lane, Cabrach, who had graduated in Arts at King’s College in 1847 and had been for some time assistant schoolmaster of Fyvie, thereafter schoolmaster of Auchindoir, was ordained here in 1854 assistant and successor to Mr Scott. In 1863, he was translated to Glenbervie. He married Helen, daughter of Rev. James Drummond, his predecessor in the charge at Glenbervie, and died on 14th May, 1902, aged 78. His three sons all qualified for the ministry, Rev. Patrick Lindsay Gordon, B.D., now minister of Glenbervie; Rev. James Drummond Gordon, M.A., Chaplain (Church of Scotland) on the Indian Ecclesiastical Establishment; and Rev. William Lindsay Gordon, B.D., minister of Athelstaneford, Haddingtonshire. There were also two daughters — Helen Jane Drummond Gordon, who died in 1869, and Margaret Collie Gordon, who died in 1884.

The succeeding minister has a headstone inscribed:

In memory of The Rev. John Bremner, Minister of Glenbucket. Born 26 June, 1815; Died 1st December, 1880. And his wife Helen Stewart Innes, daughter of Lieutenant Robert Innes, Aberlour, born 5th April, 1831; died 16 July, 1895. Also, their son Robert Garden Bremner. Born 11 July, 1864; Died 12 March 1898.

It is told by an old parishioner that on one occasion, when Rev. John Bremner was preaching, a mason seated in the gallery of the church fell asleep. The minister had been remonstrating with a few of his people on their failings, and, waxing eloquent, he shouted at the top of his voice, "It is easily known when the Devil is at work in the church!" Whether it was the power of his voice or the thud of his hand on the pulpit, a portion of the plaster on the roof of the loft gave way and fell upon the unconscious sleeper, who thus rudely awakened cried out —" Aye, aye! Rin, boys!" Subsequently, on being asked to explain, he told that he had been dreaming that his men were building a wall, and seeing it falling he shouted to them to run for their lives.

Rev. John Scott, a native of Dumfriesshire, and previously minister of Armadale, Linlithgow, was inducted 6th July, 1881, but died at Edinburgh in May, 1886.

The present incumbent is Rev. William Arthur Spark, who was ordained to the charge on 18th October, 1886. It will be noted that of the foregoing twenty-one ministers who have held the charge since the Reformation eleven accepted calls to other parishes.
Picture added on 14 November 2020 at 16:08
This picture is in the following groups
church
Please add your comments about this picture using the form below.

Comments


Your Name


Your email address - this will be shown on the page and will allow the system to notify you of further comments added to this picture.




church

186 Relatives of the Rev Spark6 Glenbuchat Manse174 The Chapel of the Lady of the Snows Corgarff 7 Glenbuchat Old Kitk152 'Snow Kirk' Corgarff24 The Old Kirk and Kirkyard Glenbuchat132 Pulpit at 'Free Church' Craigton131 Memorial at 'Free Church' Craigton ?19604 Epitaphs94. Robert Murdoch and Church 'Disicpline'