We use cookies to track visitor statistics and personalise adverts. This info is shared with Google. Only use the site if you agree to this. OK, I agree

Glenbuchat Heritage

20 Glenbucket Name Book 1865-1871
The Glenbuchat Image Library
20 Glenbucket Name Book 1865-1871

Parish of Glenbucket
Ordnance Survey Name Books


In the 1980’s Ken Cruickshank was fortunate to be able to photograph a copy of the Glenbucket O S Name book. Samples of pages are shown above. (Click at foot of page for larger version of pictures)

As the text is too small to clearly decipher on a computer below is a transcription of the text.

The text displays the official name of places in the Glen along with other versions of the name. Then there is a description of the place followed in some cases with details of the Gaelic derivation.

Many of the names have been take from the 1864 Glenbuchat Estate Map.


Aberdeenshire OS Name Books, 1865-1871

Ordnance Survey name books (or 'original object name books') provide information about place names and building names on the first edition Ordnance Survey mapping which took place in the mid-19th century. The original object name books used in Scotland came in two forms, each with a different system of headed columns. The first type, commonly used in surveying and naming the Highland parishes, was essentially a 'field' version of the name book and had five headings: Received name; Object; Description; Township or parish; Authority for spelling, with their names and addresses. The collector, usually an officer in the Ordnance Survey, would consult local historians and etymologists (authorities) in order to fix the spelling (the received name) of each 'object' (natural feature, inhabited place, building and so on).

GLENBUCKET
Parish of Glenbucket

A parish in Aberdeenshire, bounded on the north by Banffshire and Parish of Cabrach, West and South by Strathdon and on the East by Cabrach and Towie parishes;- "Parish of Glenbucket from Statistical Account 1843. page 436. "This parish derives its name from two Gaelic words gleann, a glen and buidhe, signifying yellow; or from the Stream of Bucket, which intersects the Glen, taking its rise among the lofty mountains; separating Glenlivat from Glenbucket. A narrow and romantic pass leads into the parish from the East, commencing at the confluence of the Rivers Don and Bucket below the Castle.

Craigenscore is the highest hill in the parish. Bennewe is the next highest; the castle is built in the declivity of this hill. Limestone is in great abundance in this parish, and. is worked to great advantage by the Tenants both for their own use and for sale. The Earl of Fife is sole heritor of the parish, as well as Superior of the Estates that once belonged to the ancient and powerful Earls of Mar. The Mains farm at the Castle is perhaps as well managed in every respect as any in Scotland. There is a parish school and an adventure school kept during Winter and Spring, in the remote part of the parish, on the celebrated classical spot where John of Badenyon lived. "From Collection of the Shires 1843, page 613 "

Glenbucket , dedicated to Saint peter, is so named from Bucket, a rivulet, on both sides of which the parish stands. Glenbucket (properly Inverbucket because situated where Bucket falls into Don) the seat of Gordon of Glenbucket descended of those of Rothiemay, whose stock was Cairnburrow. "- There is no portion of this parish detached, nor portion, or portions, of any other parish enclosed within the boundary of this Parish –

GEAL CHÀRN Gilchearn Hill
A large hill on the summit of which runs the bounding line between this parish and Banffshire
[Page] 3 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside Geal Chàrn] - See Geal Cairn. The same name Gilchearn written on Sheet 68 Tarland (Deld. ) [Deleted] and in name Book p. [page] 30 for the same Ph [Parish].

LITTLE GEAL CHÀRN Little Gilchearn Hill
Is a continuation of the Southern portion of Gilchearn Hill, over which the boundary runs dividing this parish from Strathdon
[Note beside Geal Chàrn Beag] - Written Little Geal Cairn apparently to the same hill. The names are widely the same but differently pronounced & spelled See Remarks for the above Corrections. [Initialled] J.C.

CAOCHANDAIL HILL Cuchendail Hill
Applies to a heath clad hill situated near to the boundary of Banffshire.
[Note beside 'Cuchendail Hill'] Cach. The rest: others. "Cach a cheile", used for "Gach, a cheile" each other, or each his match. Dail. A field, A meadow, A plain - Dail. Dalach. Dalaichean. Delay, procrastination; A meeting, convention: An attempt; friendship; attachment; A fortress, fastness; Credit, trust. (Gaelic) Cnoc Caochain Daill. Hill of the dark or obscure streamlet
[Page] 4 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside 'Caochend Dail'] - See Remarks on the names. [Initialled] J.C. The Dark or obscure Streamlet

SLACKMORE BURN Slackmore Burn
A Stream rising out of Cachendail and Crespet Hills and flowing Southerly takes in the burns of Cachendail and Holeadonish. At the junction of this latter burn it changes its name to Leadensider Burn.

CAOCHEND DAIL Cachendail Burn
Rises out of the hills of Cachendail and Badenyon and flowing easterly for a few chains falls into the Slochmore burn, a little to the north of Holeadonish Burn

MID WOOD Mid Wood
Applies to a piece of mountain pasture, lying between Holeadonish Burn and Cachendail Burn.

ALLT NAN CABAR Aultnacabber Burn
Is formed by the junction of Williehead's Burn, and Caucherly Rime Burn, and flowing in a southerly direction for a considerable distance meets the Burn of Croulie, when they form the junction of Coulins Burn.
[Page] 5 Parish of Glenbucket [Notes beside "Allt Nan Cabar"] Allt. A mountain stream Cabar. A deers horn, An Antler; a stake, a pole, a rafter, eminence, height. Cabar beinne, mountain top. (Gaelic) [Note in the heading] - as Cabar is a masculine noun the name should be either Allt a' Chabair or Allt nan Cabarname.
[Page] 21 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Creagandhu Hill"] Creagan Dubha. The Black Rocks

DAVIDSON'S CAIRN Davidson's Cairn
A Small cairn of stones collected to mark the spot where a man named Davidson was found dead about. 18. or 20 years ago. He was a notorious poacher well known, and even respected by many his death is believed to have occurred from natural causes.

BURN OF CLAIS NAM BÒ Burn of Clashnabo
A Small Stream so called, from its source till it joins the Burn of Hillocks
[Page] 22 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Burn of Clais nam Bò"] Clash. Claisch. A cavity of considerable extent in the acclivity of a hill. Bo. Bho. A Cow. (Gaelic)

ROCKS OF CLAIS NAM BÒ Rocks of Clashnabo
An irregular heap of rocks and boulder stones known by this name.

STUDY STONE Studdie Stone, Study Stone
A large conspicuous Stone. So called from its resemblance to a blacksmith's anvil, Situated in the Rocks of Clashnabo
[Note beside "Study Stone"] Studdir. an anvil Burn's Glossary Study, Stuthy, Styddy - An Anvil. Jamieson

SCHOOL [nr Dulax] School
Mr William Michie Schoolmaster
A new building nearly completed erected by Subscription and by the members of the Free Church as a School for boys and girls also a dwelling house for the Schoolmaster.

DULAX Dulax
An ordinary farm house with offices, garden etc. attached, the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife

WATER OF BUCKET Water of Bucket
A large burn formed by the juncture of several Small streams rising from springs in the hills north of the parish and flows in southeast direction in a serpentine manner, receiving augmentation in its course from several smaller streams which flow into it, as it passes through nearly the Centre of the parish, until its Confluence with the River Don.

BADENEOIN Badenyon
Valuation Roll. 1859-60 Statistical Account. 1843. M. Stewart Esqr. Factor
A good Farm house with offices garden etc. also a few Cottages garden & attached the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife
[Page 24] Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Badenyon"] Bad. A tuft, cluster, bunch, a clump of trees, or shrubs, a grove etc. Eoin. A bird (Gaelic)

BALLOCHDUIE Ballochduie
An ordinary farm house with offices garden and Cottages etc. attached, known by this name, the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife

NEWSEAT Newseat
An ordinary farm house with offices garden etc attached, known by this name, the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife

CLACHDUBH HILL Clochdhu Hill Clochdhu Clashdhuie
A conspicuous eminence, known by this name, but sometimes called Clashdhuie. but, as the name applies to the Summit, which is dotted over with rocks, boulders, and cropping stones, etc the name "Clochdhuie," would Seem to be the correct one.
[Page 25] Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Clachdubh Hill"] should be written in Correct Gaelic Clach, Cloiche Cloich, A stone; A certain; A certain weight. Clach stone, Dubh. Duibhe. adj. [adjective] Black, dark; sad, mournful

ALLT SÙGHAIN HILL Altsowen Hill
Conspicuous eminence So Called from the adjacent Burn of this name.
[Note beside "Allt Sùghain Hill"] Allt A mountain stream Sowen. The paste employed by weavers for stiffening their yarn in working The name Allt-sowen is altogether Gaelic There is no part of it Broad Scotch. [Note beside "Allt Sùghain"] Sowens Porridge. Pottage made of cold sowens, by mixing meal with them while on the fire (Jamieson) Sowen A mispelling of Sughan or Subhan subhan Juice sap, Thin sowens sughan Thin sowen. - It may be the plural of Sugh a berry i.e. Allt Sughain The stream of the berries

ALLT SÙGHAIN Altsowen
A Small Stream known by this name. flowing in a westerly direction from its source till it joins the Clashwalloch Burn

CLASHWALLOCH BURN Clashwalloch Burn Glashwalloch
A considerable stream known by this name, flowing through a deep ravine in a Southerly direction from its source and in its course receives as tributaries the Altsowen Burn and the Mid Burn, before it junction with the Leadenside Burn.
[Page] 26 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Clashwalloch Burn"] Clash. Claisch. A cavity of considerable extent in the acclivity of a hill Walloch. A kind of dance familiar to the Highlands. S. Song, Roy's wife (Jamieson)

TODS' STRATH Tods' Strath
This name applies to the face or base of the hill, along the side of Clashwalloch Burn, and is so named from the Tod or Fox, being formerly Seen frequently hereabouts.
[Note beside "Tod's Strath"] Tod. The fox. (Jamieson)

FOUL MIRE Foul Mire
This name applies to a wet marshy piece of ground. on and near the source of the Burn of Garbet.

BURN OF BALLOCH Burn of
A Small stream known by this name rising at a limestone quarry and flowing through a how or hollow in a north by N.W. [North West] direction till its Confluence with the Water of Bucket
[Page] 27 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Burn of Balloch"] Ballach, spotted, speckled, mural, studded; also walled, having lofty walls. (Gaelic) Balloch. Belloch. A narrow pass. (Jamieson)

SCHOOL [nr Corriemore] School
(To be known as the Balloch School)
A new building nearly completed to be used as a School jointly by the parishes of Glenbucket and Strathdon and erected by Subscriptions from the same. "The Society for promoting Christian Knowledge" is to contribute towards the support of this School.

CORRIEMORE Corrymore
Mr Harry McHardy. Tenant
A small croft, or cottage, garden etc. known by this name. There are large limestone quarries near this cottage the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife.

THE CLASH The Clash
This name applies to a hollow or comparatively flat portion of ground, at the base of a very steep hill there was formerly a house here, which took this name from its situation, the name is now applied to the flat or hollow, as originally
[Page] 28 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside ["The Clash"] Clash. Claisch. A cavity of considerable extent in the acclivity of a hill. [Note beside "Allt na Greine"] Allt A mountain stream. Greine, gen. [genitive] of grain. (Gaelic) [Note beside "Coulack Hill" entry]

ALLT NA GREINE Burn of Altnagreen
A small stream known by this name, flowing in Northeast direction from its source among the hills till its confluence with the Water of Bucket

ROCH FORD Rough Ford Ford Roch Ford
An ordinary ford across the Burn of Garbet on the road leading from Glenbucket to the Cabrach etc. - the roughness of the place gives rise to the name.
[Page] 29 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside 'Roch Ford'] - Is not Rough Ford the correct name? what is the meaning of Roch?

BURN OF HILLOCKS Burn of
A small stream known by this name. from a number of hillocks adjoining. from its Source till its confluence with the Burn of Garbet

WIFE'S CAIRN Wife's Cairn
A Small cairn of Stones, near the Burn of Garbet. Collected to commemorate the event of a woman being found dead here, who, having lost her way, or missed the road, whilst crossing the hills was found dead here about 20 years ago.

BURN OF GARBET Burn of Garbet
A Small Stream known by this name forming the parish boundary between Glenbucket and Cabrach. It rises near a place called the Foul Mire and flows in an easterly direction

CAIRNS OF GARBET Cairns of Garbet, Rocks of the Little Garbet
An irregular heap of rocks and boulder stones, Some of a very large Size & Some piled on each other and other scattered around and altogether forming a very conspicuous feature, and known by this name

BACK BURN Back Burn
A Small stream known by this name flowing in N.E. [North East] direction from its Source till it joins the Burn of Garbet

CROFTS Crofts
Mr Jonathan Gall. Tenant
An ordinary farm house or Croft with outhouses, garden & attached well known by this name the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife

HILLER HILL Hiller Hill, The Hiller
A large and conspicuous eminence known by this name Consisting of rough heathy pasture. etc.

WHITE HILL White Hill
A large and conspicuous eminence well known by this name

BURN OF PEATFOLD Burn of Peatfold
A considerable stream so called from the houses of this name - Arises in a flat, wet piece of ground called "Callamalish" and flows in South by Southwest direction till it joins the Water of Bucket

CLAIS CURRANACH HILLOCK Clashcurnach
A small eminence or hillock known by this name.
[Page] 32 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Clashcurnach Hillock"] Clas. Clais, A play craft, A furrow; melody Carnach, A heathen priest; also the names of several places, descriptive of a rocky or stony situation (Gaelic) Curran. Any root of the parsnip or radish kind Curranach abounding in such roots as wild parsnips etc., not Carnach all give Curnach - Curranach. Also abounding in panniers or baskets

TOM NA GLAIS Tomnaglash Hillock
A small eminence or hillock known by this name.
[Note beside "Tomnaglash Hillock"] Tom. A round hillock or knoll, A rising ground, A swell, an eminence, any round heap, a tuft of anything Glas. Grey, pale, wan, etc. (Gaelic)

RYNTAING Ryntaing
Mr Henry McRobbie. Tenant.
An ordinary farm house so Called, with offices garden etc attached the property of The Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife

PEATFOLD Peatfold
A few ordinary Cottages. with outhouses gardens etc attached, also a few acres of land. Known by this name. The property of the Right Honble [Honourable] The Earl of Fife.

TOM A' CHARRAIGH Tomnahurrach Hill, Tom a' Charragh Tom a' Charragh
A conspicuous eminence known by this name.
[Page] 33 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Tom a' Charraigh" "Tomnahurrrach Hill"] Currach a bog, or fen, &c Curra A beret a [??] &c Curradh A Crowd a together &c. Carragh a rock etc., written also Carradh Nominative singular and genitive plural Carragh genitive singular definite Charraigh when declined as a noun masculine, but correctly speaking it is a noun feminine and ought to be Tom na Carraigh

BURN OF UACHDAR A' GHUAILLE Burn of Auchterguail , Burn of Uchdar a' Guaille
A small Stream known by this name flowing in a Southeast direction from its source till it joins the Water of Bucket.
[Page] 34 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside 'Burn of Uachdar a' Ghuaille'] Uachdar The top, surface, summit or upper part, Cream, the upper leather of a shoe, the woof of cloth. Gualann, Guala, Guaille. A shoulder; A mountain projection; bend of a ship's bow. (Gaelic)

ALLT A' CHOMNUIDH Alachonie Burn
A small stream falling into the Waulkmill Burn.
[Page] 35 Parish of Glenbucket [Notes beside "Allt a' Chomhnuidh" "Alachonie Burn"] Comhnuidh pronounced Kó-nne or Cònie a habitation, a residence The burn of the dwelling place or residence Alach, Alaich,-ean. A brood; a tribe, generation; a levy or set; a set or bank of oars; a set of nails, Activity; Alacrity. (Gaelic) Allt. A mountain stream &c, not Alach, but Allt a' Chonie.

AUCHAVAICH
Valuation Roll Mr Cameron Schoolmaster Mr Wattie Milltown
A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house garden and offices the property of the Earl of Fife.

WAULKMILL BURN Waulkmill Burn
A stream rising in Craigenscore Hill, and falling into the Bucket opposite to Tarntoul.

ELLEN BURN Ellen Burn
A small burn falling into the Bucket nearly opposite to Tarntoul.

HILLOCKS BURN Hillocks Burn
A short stream falling into the Burn of Ley, on the north side of Craigenscore

ROUGHBUSH BURN Roughbush Burn
A short stream falling into the Burn of Ley on the north side of Craigenscore.

CREAG AN INNEAN Craigeninnan Hill
A lofty flat topped hill covered with heather on the boundary between Glenbucket & Strathdon detd [detached]
[Page] 37 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Craigeninnan Hill"] Innean [and] Innein,-ean. An anvil; a rock or hill (Gaelic)

CREAG AN SGOR Craigenscore Hill
A lofty Hill in the northern part of the part of the parish.
[Note beside 'Craigenscore Hill'] Creag A rock, a hill, &c. A peak or Cliff &c. written [??] Sgurr Sgòr A sharp rock A rocky hill etc A cut or notch, a gash [Note beside 'Clachmaddy Hill'] Creag although literally means a rock, is often applies to rocky hills

CLACHMADDY HILL Clachmaddy Hill
A lofty Hill on the Boundary betwixt the parishes of Glenbucket and Strathdon Detd. [Detached]

MEIKLE FORBRIDGE HILL Meikle Forbridge Hill
A considerable Hill on the boundary betwixt the parishes of Glenbucket and Strathdon Detd. [Detached]

SUNNYBRAE Sunnybrae
Applies to a farm steading and merchants shop Situated on the South Side of the Craig Wood, in the occupation of James & John Chree, and property of the Earl of Fife

WESTERTOWN Westertown
A small farm property of the Earl of Fife

TOM NA GABHAR Tomnagaur Hill
A bold and prominent Hill Covered with heather, north of the Croft of Westertown, property of the Earl of Fife.

GLAC NA MOINE Glacknamon
Applies to a marshy hollow or rough pasture, situated at the north western base of Tomnagaur Hill.
[Page] 39 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Glac na Moine" "Glacknamon"] Glac. A hollow. A valley, A narrow valley. Moine. A moss. A mossy place (Gaelic)

MILL OF GLENBUCKET (Corn) Mill of Glenbucket
Applies to a Corn mill and farm steading situated on the east bank of the Bucket Water and about one mile from Glenbucket Church in the occupation of Mr Robert Bremner and property of the Earl of Fife

CRAIG WOOD Craig
An extensive fir wood, deriving its name from the rocky nature of the ground, situated near the Mill of Glenbucket, & property of the Earl of Fife

BARNOCH HILL Barnoch Hill
Applies to a small hill feature on the east side of the Clashenteple Hill and property of the Earl of Fife

COULICK HILL Coulick Hill
A middle sized, irregular shaped, hill feature, situated about two miles N.W. [North West] from Glenbucket Church, The property of the Earl of Fife

STONY HILL Stony Hill
Applies to a rocky hill feature situated about one and a half miles from Glenbucket Church, the property of the Earl of Fife

BURN OF CORNABAE Burn of Cornabae
A Small stream having its rise at the eastern base of Coulick Hill, and flowing in a northerly direction, unites with the Water of Bucket at Crofts farm.

BEALACH QUARRY Bealach Quarry
Applies to a large quarry situated about one mile east from Auchornach House, the property of the Earl of Fife.
[Page] 41 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Bealach Quarry"] Bealach. A defile. A passage, the pass or gorge of a mountain: A gap, a breach in a wall or fence (Gaelic)

CLASHENTEPLE HILL Clashenteple Hill
Applies to a high and extensive eminence situated about one mile, north west from Glenbucket Church, which forms the boundary betwixt the parishes of Glenbucket & Strathdon & the property of the Earl of Fife
[Page] 42 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside 'Clashenteple Hill'] Cnoc Clais an t-Seapail See N [Name] Book p. [page] 41 Ph [Parish] of Strathdon

TARNTOUL Tarntoul
A Small farm steading situated about half a mile South of Upperton, property of The Earl of Fife

TULLOCHCHARROCH Tullocharroch
Applies to a Croft Situated on the west bank of the Bucket water, near to The Mill of Glenbucket in the occupation of Mr Henry Farquharson and property of the Earl of Fife

STANDING STONE [nr Milltown] Standing Stone
A standing stone on the north side of Culstruphan Road. No information can be obtained in the neighbourhood respecting it further than the supposition that it had been set up for some chief slain at the spot during feudal times. It is about 5 feet in height.

MILL HILL Mill Hill
A well-known name applying to a slight rising ground in a field Close to the Milltown.

CAIRN HEAD Cairn Head
A slight rising ground in a field on the farm of Milltown, near to the steading.

FREE CHURCH [Belnacraig] Free Church Free
A handsome church built of Freestone erected by the members and friend of the Free Church, it is seated for 300 people, and part of it is temporarily used as a female school. There is a Teachers house close by.

BELNACRAIG Belnacraig
A group of small cottages with gardens and offices attached, on the east side of The Craig Wood. The property of the Earl of Fife.
[Page] 44 Parish of Glenbucket [Note beside "Belnacraig"] Belnacraig i.e. Baile na Craige - The town of the rock, or rocky hill The word Baile as a general rule is alway anglicised Bal not Bel

BELTIMB Beltimb
A farmsteading consisting of dwellinghouse garden & offices, a short distance north of the school. property of the Earl of Fife.

TOD HOLES Tod
This name applies to a small portion of ground on the hill side north from Belnaglack. Much frequented by Foxes in former times. Tod is the Scotch for Fox.

LITTLE FORBRIDGE HILL Little Forbridge
A considerable Hill on the north Eastern boundary of the parish, the boundary betwixt Strathdon detached and Glenbucket crosses the top of it.

TOMBRECK Tombreck
A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house and offices the property of the Earl of Fife.

BELNAGLACK
A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house with garden and offices attached. the property of the Earl of Fife

SCHOOL [nr Balnaglack] School
Mr Cameron
A plain substantial building with teacher's house garden etc attached erected by the Right Hon [Honourable] The Earl of Fife proprietor of the parish Average attendance about 70.

BELNOE
A slight rising ground covered with broom, a short distance west from the farm of Blackhillock.

DRUMNAGARROW Drumnagarrow
A small farmsteading with dwelling house offices & garden at the base of Little Forbridge Hill. the property of the Earl of Fife.

Site of ERD HOUSE [Drumnagarrow] (Site of) Erd House (Site of)
Previous to the year 1837, an Erd House existed here but during that year it was filled up and ploughed over.

KNOCKIE WOOD Knockie Wood
A small plantation of fir Wood on a rising ground a little to the east of the farm of Beltamore.

BELTAMORE Beltamore
A farmsteading consisting of dwellinghouses with gardens and offices attached, the property of The Right Hon [Honourable], James, Earl of Fife.

CULSTRUPHAN ROAD Culstruphan Road
A well-known name applying to that part of the public road extending from the farm of Tombreck South eastward to the Smithy.

DOCKINGTON Dockington
A farmsteading on the South side of the Bucket, consisting of dwelling house & commodious offices, the property of the Earl of Fife

EASTER BUCKET Easter Bucket
A group of dwelling houses with offices gardens and small crofts of land attached the property of the Earl of Fife.

BLACKHILLOCK Blackhillock
A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house offices & garden, the property of the Earl of Fife.

BELNABOTH Belnaboth
A group of small Cottages with gardens offices and crofts of land attached. the property of the Earl of Fife.

SMALL BURN Small
A small stream Rising a short distance west from Newton and falling into the Bucket near to Belnaboth.

NEWTON Newton
A farmsteading Consisting of dwelling house with offices and garden. The property of the Earl of Fife.

MIDTOWN Midtown
A small croft property of the Earl of Fife.

EASTERTOWN Eastertown
A Small farm with outhouses and garden attached property of Earl of Fife.

ALLTDACHIE
A small farm with outhouses and garden attached, property of Sir Charles Forbes, Castle Newe.

ALLT DEGLAVEN Burn of Aultdeglaven
Estate map of property A.D. 1823 Mr Alexander Walker, Gardner Castle Newe Mr J.E. Douglas, Buchaam
Issues from Springs about 18 chains E [East] of Ben Newe where the upper portion is conducted to the Mains of Glenbucket (chiefly underground), the lower portion runs Eastward for about 25 Chains and enters the river Don one chain above a foot Bridge called Danenford Bridge. It is said that the Burn formed the parish Boundary from a Well at the Source to the River from 1643 to 1728. only about a chain of it now forms the Boundary at its discharge in the River Don The name is derived from the word 'Clamhan' a vulture of the Kite etc. etc.

TOM A' CHAISTEIL Tomachaistal
A well-known Hillock, under plantation Situated about 10. Chains S. [South] of the Mains of Glenbucket and a few Chains N.W. [North West] of Donenford footbridge This being the more ancient name known for the Hillock. It is also known by two other names viz Gallows Hill & Woody Hillock Tradition has it that Criminals after having been tried and Condemned at the Castle of Glenbucket were brought to this Knoll for execution Tradition does not seem to make out whither a Castle or a Watch Tower was upon the top, The ground being in Cultivation around this Conspicuous Knoll So that there is no vestige of a moat or a Fort to be seen if ever there has been any.
[Page] 53 Parishes of Strathdon & Glenbucket etc. Chaisteil A castle A fort, a tower, etc etc,

MAINS OF GLENBUCKET Mains of Glenbucket
Comprising of a Commodious dwelling house with large office houses and garden detached Situated about a mile E.S.E. [East South East] of Ben Newe and at the Castle of Glenbucket. The property of the Earl of Fife.

GLENBUCKET CASTLE (In Ruins) Glenbucket Castle
Situated about three chains N [North] of the Mains of Glenbucket, as is said to be in ruins more or less for upwards of a Century The walls are mostly up and although of a softish Red Sand Stone are Still in a good preservation. The date of erection I could not ascertain for Certainty. The lower apartments as is usually the Case in Such buildings, are arched over in strong stonework. On the outside of a door lintel are inserted the following viz Hellen Carnegie Done 1590 This however might have been a wing added to the former It is Said to have been belonging to the Gordons at this date, and that a mention is made in some record of a Hellen Douglas viz Widow Gordon and 5 Sons were living in the Castle in the year 1696 It is also Said that a Gordon the proprietor of it having taken a part in the Rebellion of 1745 and after Culloden field day he became an [outcast] and that he witnessed from a neighbouring hill the Royalists burning the Castle to the ground etc. etc. The property of the Earl of Fife.

TOM BREAC Tombreck
Name of a Rough pastoral slopping ground extending southward to an arable park and situated about 25 chains S. [South] of Glenbucket parish church. The name is pretty well known about the locality - Tombreck Gael [Gaelic]: viz Spotted Knoll or Hillock and it may be said to form a promontory of a range leading to - Ben Newe - or rather from Ben Newe –

BEN NEWE Ben Newe
A conspicuous mountain, situated between the rivers Don and Bucket, and about a Mile N.N.W. [North North West] of Castle Newe The summit or Trigonometrical Station is a parish boundary point between the parishes of Strathdon and Glenbucket. The derivation of the name Seems doubtful Tradition has it, that it is derived from the Gaelic for the word 'Holy' 'Naomh' and that in a rock upon the Summit a Well was consecrated by some favourite Saint of the district, and that the natives used the water as an antidote against witchcraft and for procuring charms etc. Mr Bremner the Parish Minister of Glenbucket informed me that some years ago a great number of pins were found in the place. Many of which through verdigris and length of time deposited, were almost defaced. It appears to have never been a spring well but merely the rain water deposited from the splits of the rock. The Glenbucket side of the Hill is the property of the Earl of Fife and the Strathdon side (viz. the South Side) that of Sir Charles Forbes of Castle Newe, Baronet.
[Page] 55 Parishes of Glenbucket and Strathdon [Ben] Naomha the Holy or Consecrated mountain

CRAIGIE SHIELS Craggieshiels
A well-known name of a range of Rocks Commencing abt [about] 20. chains N.N.E. [North North East] from top of Ben Newe and heading in a N.N.E. [North North East] direction for the extent of about ¾ of a mile from Ben Newe top

CHURCH [Kirktown of Glenbucket] Church
The Parish Church of Glenbucket, Situated in the Glen a little more than ½ a Mile N.W. [North West] of Ben Newe, and upon a rising ground, The date on which the Church was built seems rather doubtful, There is however a Stone on the manse dated 1775 and it is Supposed that both the Church and the Manse were erected on the same date, The Church is Supposed to be on the foundation of the old one, and the upper stone of the west gable is dated 1629. It is however supposed to be a date stone of the old Church, as other relics of the old Church are to be Seen elsewhere viz. on the north wing of the Manse are two tolerably preserved sculptures, one of which is representing a Bishop with mitre and Crosier etc. and under which is dated [1486], the other also representing an Ecclesiastical personage probably the patron Saint of the Church. The name of the Saint the old Church was dedicated to I could not find out - as the Minister appears very ignorant on these subjects Tradition says that at one period the nearest place for public worship was Tarland and on one occasion going thither many of the Glenbucket people were drowned in the Don, after which a petition was forwarded to the Arch Bishop to Supply them with a Church in the Glen which he granted and was the one above named

MANSE [Kirktown of Glenbucket] Manse
Is a commodious dwelling, situated upon a rising ground immediately south of the Grave yard and parish Church of Glenbucket attached are outhouses and gardens etc. a considerable portion of the Kirkton farm is attached to the manse The manse was erected in 1775 and it is still in good preservation.

KIRKTON OF GLENBUCKET Kirkton
East portion of Farm Occupied by Mr Reid Consisting of a good dwelling house, and garden with outhouses attached West portion Consists of the Parish Manse. Church etc. it has always been known as the Kirkton of the parish.

MILLHUIE HILL Millhowie Hill
A lofty hill covered with heather on the boundary betwixt Glenbucket and Strathdon detd. [Detached]
[Page] 57 Parish of Glenbucket [Notes beside "Millhowie Hill"] Howie A small plain. - not Lowland scotch Howie. Castle Howie. The name given to such of the Picts' houses as still appear tumuli. (Jamieson) Meall Oighe. The maiden Hill? It is difficult, without enquiry in the Locality, to give the proper Gaelic spelling of this name.

THE CHAIR The Chair
A Rock near to the Summit of Millhowie Hill on the Glenbucket side of the boundary.

BRIDGE OF BUCKET [houses] Bridge of Bucket
This name applies to a group of houses near the confluence of the Bucket with the Don As well as to a small stone bridge crossing the Bucket.

POST OFFICE [Bridge of Bucket] Post Office
There is also a Sub Post Office and a small Woollen Mill in this hamlet.

WOOLLEN MILL [Bridge of Bucket] Woollen Mill

DELFRANKIE Delfrankie
A small farm with dwelling house garden and offices attached a short distance east from Bridge of Bucket.

COLQUHROOKIE POT Colquhrookie Pot
A pool on the Don near to the mouth of the Bucket

COLQUHROOKIE STONE Colquhrookie
A large boulder in the river Don near to the mouth of the Water of Bucket.

BRIDGE OF BUCKET [bridge] Bridge of Bucket
A Bridge across the water of Bucket at its confluence with the River Don, and on the Turnpike Road leading from Aberdeen to Corgarff. Maintained by the County.






View Large Version View Large Version
Picture added on 26 November 2017 at 18:19
This picture is in the following groups
places
Please add your comments about this picture using the form below.

Comments


Your Name


Your email address - this will be shown on the page and will allow the system to notify you of further comments added to this picture.




places

3 Strathdon Slides - Poldhullie Bridge2 Strathdon Slides - Roughpark c 1910232 Men and boy at Garnet Stone Glenbuchat207 Doune of Invernochty strathdon134 Bridge of Buchat110 Broombrae Glenbuchat58 Allargue Hotel and Lecht Road43 Auchernach House and garden Glen Nochty4 Allargue Hotel and the Lecht Road166 Couple at the Garnet Stone Glenbuchat